8.30.2009

jah man

Sunday morning - first morning at the new house and I need my damn coffee, quick.  I take off in the car in search of my nearest coffee shop.

My usual go-to joint would be Jo's on South Congress for 'a small coffee in a large cup with lots of room, please.', right out of the apartment complex and up the street.  Ah, but there I was driving around Stassney and Manchaca to find my morning fix.

After a 5 mile tour of thrift stores, fast food joints, a meat market and a CVS I surrendered, whipped in to a convenience store that looked one step up from a gas station.

Inside, I was surprised to find Dale's Pale Ale six packs and other specialty beer favorites of mine.  They had their own brew of coffee - yum - hot, ready to go and plenty of local snacks up for grabs.  And the dudes running the place were jamming hardcore to a Rastfarian church service station over the PA.

Me: Is it Rastafarian church Sunday or what?! Ha.
Register dude (w/a straight face): Yes.
Me: Okie dokie.

As with my familiar downtown hood, there was nary a Christian in sight but rest assured Jah was looking down on the dudes at the Live Oak Market on Manchaca this morning.  Great coffee too.